The small potatoes are good in own way. You can prepare from it a potato salad with bacon. And if the potatoes are new, its are very tasty. In general, after this salad, you will get rid of all prejudices concerning German cuisine (if you had such).
It’s a unique love story: potatoes and Germans. According to legend, Friedrich the Great introduced potatoes to Germany. First, he issued a decree that ordered his subjects to potatoes growing and eating. But the subjects refused. And then Frederick the Great came up with a trick. He planted the potato field and put soldiers around for protection. But he ordered soldiers to guard the field no for real, and in no case do not stop those who filch something from the field. Nearby subjects regard the field. Then they looked at the soldiers. And they came to a simple conclusion: if the field guarded, then something valuable has grown on it. And if something valuable grown there, it must be stolen off. And they began to steal. Soldiers at the sight of the thieves suddenly fell asleep. And successfully stolen goods actively spread throughout Prussia. The potato was tasty, and Friedrich’s subjects began to eat it. “Quod erat demonstrandum” – said Frederick the Great and went to gain lands for potato fields from neighbors.
And we’ll make potato salad with bacon. For him we will need:
- One kilogram of small potatoes.
- About 100 grams of smoked bacon.
- One small onion.
- A tablespoon of vegetable oil (better sunflower).
- One tablespoon of apple vinegar.
- Ground black pepper.
Cook a potato salad with bacon
- First, you need to cook potatoes. In salted water. You can peel and cook it, or you can cook it, and then peel. It’s up to you. Put the boiled potatoes in a large salad bowl.
- Peel the onion and cut into half rings.
- Cut the fat into strips.
- Heat a frying pan with oil (or pork fat) on the low heat; then put the onion in it and fry it until it becomes soft.
- Shift the onion aside and put the bacon in a skillet. Fry until the bacon gets brownish.
- Sprinkle fried bacon and onion on the potatoes, season it with vinegar, salt, and pepper (to taste) and gently mix.
It’s all. You can eat it hot, warm and cold. In the June heat, this salad from new potatoes with a cold beer will be delicious.
Pluses: Nourishing, tasty and well stored in the refrigerator.
Nuances: You can cut the potatoes into slices and add parsley to the salad. You can also replace vinegar with lemon juice.