The matador swings his bright yellow forelock in front of a small, aggressive pig. The pig is squealing desperately, raked the earth with his hoofs, but does not attack; matador, in addition to the performance of hair-making veronicas and derechasos, stomping his feet, branding his fists and yelling “I’ll swallow you, filthy pig!”. And because it is not known how this political corrida (Trump versus Kim III) will end (and whether after that Korea will remain on our globe), I decided to try Korean cuisine. Namely stewed chicken in Korean style.
It comes out quite tasty. Let’s start with the ingredients:
- Chicken meat – 800 grams. I used fillets (three pieces).
- Light soy sauce – three tablespoons (or, at the most extreme, a tablespoon of the traditional soy sauce – but it’s better to use light).
- Green onions – 6 feathers.
- A garlic – 2 cloves.
- Chili powder – half a teaspoon (or more if you like very spicy).
- A tablespoon of sesame oil.
- A one-third of a teaspoon of salt.
From abundance and quality of the ingredients, it seems to me, what this meal is rather South Korean. The list does not correspond to the assortment of grocery stores in the country of victorious socialism. In no way.
Well, let’s get to the point.
Cook the Korean-style chicken stew
It’s very simple, really.
- Chicken should be cut into “one bite” pieces.
- Finely chop green onion and peeled garlic cloves.
- Put all the ingredients (meat, green onion, garlic, light soy sauce, chili powder, salt and sesame oil) in a bowl what is suitable for marinating, mix thoroughly and leave for two or three hours to marinate at room temperature.
- Warm up a saucepan or a frying pan the lowest heat and put chicken along with the marinade in. Cover and simmer for about two hours, stirring regularly. If the fire is really low, you do not need to add water; but if meal starts to burn, you can add a little water.
- For a guaranteed result, it is better to use the slow cooker: load the chicken together with the marinade into its bowl, set the device in the “Stew” mode in 2 hours and forget about the cookery – by the moment you will hear the sound signal.
Better eat this with rice or with rice noodles. And kimchi, by the way, will be very to the point.
Worth: Korean-style chicken stew – tasty and simple everyday food. But eat it better right away – chicken meat is softer where is hot.
Nuances: Can be too sharp, but it is easily adjusted by changing the amount of chili.